Atlanta Daily World records
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of the records of Atlanta Daily World, Inc. from 1931-2005. The majority of the collection consists of the financial records of the company, including advertising records, 1934-1996, cash receipt ledgers, 1931-1994, cash payment/check register ledgers, 1935-1995 and payroll register ledgers, 1949-1970. The records encompass all aspects of the company's business and financial dealings, including the syndicate operations and the Memphis World and the Birmingham World papers. The collection also includes some correspondence and other financial records that document the company's activities.
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Restrictions on Access
Collection stored off-site. Researchers must contact the Rose Library in advance to access this collection.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
The Atlanta Daily World is an African American newspaper founded in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1928 by W.A. Scott II. The newspaper began as the Atlanta World and was published weekly for the first four years. In 1932, it began to be published daily and its name was changed Atlanta Daily World. In 1934, after W.A. Scott's death, his brother, Cornelius Adolphus Scott took over the business. C.A. Scott served as the editor and publisher of the Atlanta Daily World for 63 years, until his niece M. Alexis Scott assumed that responsibility in 1997. In 1931, the Scott family established the Southern Newspaper Syndicate, and began printing additional black-owned newspapers across the nation. In addition, the company owned and published the Memphis World and the Birmingham World up until 1970 and 1987, respectively.
34 linear ft. (34 boxes); 151 oversized bound volumes (OBV)
Records of Atlanta Daily World, Inc., an Atlanta African American newspaper company, including financial records, correspondence, and printed material.
Unprocessed collection; preliminary inventory available.
Related Materials in This Repository
Atlanta Daily World photograph collection
File name: atlantadaily1092.doc
File name: atlantadaily1092.doc
This finding aid may include language that is offensive or harmful. Please refer to the Rose Library's harmful language statement for more information about why such language may appear and ongoing efforts to remediate racist, ableist, sexist, homophobic, euphemistic and other oppressive language. If you are concerned about language used in this finding aid, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Account books. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- African American businesspeople--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African American editors--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African American newspapers--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African American press--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Atlanta (Ga.)--Newspapers. Subject Source: Geonames
- Atlanta daily world. Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Birmingham world. Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Ledgers. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Memphis world. Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Atlanta Daily World records, 1931-1996
- Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library, Emory University
- August 14, 2008
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note