A. W. Calhoun Medical Library records
Scope and Content Note
The A. W. Calhoun Medical Library records consists of subject files documenting the history of the library, brochures, some committee records, correspondence pertaining to gifts to the library, budget records (1923-1987), annual reports (1923-1980), Grady Branch records (1931-1947), HEW training grant records (1959-1966), and library publications (1972-1984).
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Restrictions on Access
Special restrictions apply: Material in Box 19 is closed until 2056 in accordance with Emory University Archives policy for student educational records.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
The Abner Wellborn Calhoun Medical Library opened on January 1, 1924 and was housed in the Wesley Memorial Hospital, predecessor to today’s Emory University Hospital. The library was established from funds provided by F. Phinizy Calhoun in memory of his father, A. W. Calhoun who was professor of Ophthalmology in the Atlanta Medical College and other Emory’s predecessor medical schools from 1874 until his death in 1910.
The library replaced the medical school library which was housed in the Anatomy Building of the Medical School and had outgrown its space. It was intended to serve not only students in Emory’s School of Medicine and doctors who practiced at Wesley Memorial, but all members of the medical profession. In 1924, Myrtle Tye was chosen as Emory’s first full-time medical librarian. During her tenure as Librarian, she directed the steady growth of the collection. Despite financial limitations imposed by the economy in the early 1930s, she was able to raise funds to purchase a 1543 first edition of Andreas Vesalius' De Humani Corporis Fabrica.
Following Myrtle Tye's death in 1933, Mildred Jordan was appointed librarian and served until her death in 1965. Miriam H. Libbey served as library director from 1966 until her death in December or 1984, at which time Carol Burns, Director of Public Services for the library, was appointed to the position.
The A. W. Calhoun Medical Library was renamed the Robert W. Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library when it moved to new quarters in the Dental School Building in 1988.
7.40 linear ft. (19 boxes)
Contains subject files documenting the history of the library, correspondence, budget records, annual reports, Grady Branch records, ephemera, and library publications.
Arranged according to record type.
Related Materials in This Repository
Health Sciences Center Library Records, HS-S008.
Processed by Nancy Hall Watkins.
- Announcements. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Annual reports. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Atlanta (Ga.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Budgets. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Medical libraries--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes (administrative records). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- A. W. Calhoun Medical Library Records, 1918-1987, undated
- Historical Collections, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library, Emory University
- Date encoded: November 1, 2013
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Woodruff Health Sciences Library Historical Collections Repository
1462 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta Georgia 30322 United States