Affirmation Vietnam records
Scope and Content Note
The materials in this collection (.25 linear feet) span the years 1965 to 1966, with the bulk of the materials dated from February 1966. Included in the collection are a scrapbook, newspaper clippings, progress reports documenting the planning of the February rally, press releases, and an event program.
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Restrictions on Access
Special restrictions apply: The scrapbook is restricted pending conservation treatment.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
Affirmation Vietnam (also known as A.V.N.), a student organization supporting the Vietnam War, was formed by students at Emory University in December 1965. Principals in the group included Remar (called Bubba) Sutton and Don Brunson, then president of the Emory University sophomore class. In February 1966, the group held a large rally at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, Atlanta, Ga., in support of the Vietnam War, which over 10,000 people attended. The rally included speeches by Secretary of State Dean Rusk (1909-1994), conservative activist Anita Bryant, Georgia Governor Carl Edward Sanders (b. 1925), Georgia’s United States Senators Richard Brevard Russell (1897-1971) and Herman Eugene Talmadge (1913-2002), Georgia Congressmen Charles Longstreet Weltner and James Armstrong Mackay (1919-2001), and Atlanta Mayor Ivan Allen. Also in attendance were Emory University President Sanford Soverhill Atwood and the Emory University Glee Club
.25 linear ft. (1 box) (1 bound volume (BV))
Affirmation Vietnam, a student organization in favor of the Vietnam War, was established in December 1965 by a group of Emory University students. In February 1966, the organization staged a rally in support of the war, featuring well-known local and national politicians, at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, Atlanta, Ga. The collection consists of the records of Affirmation Vietnam, including a scrapbook, newspaper clippings, progress reports, press releases, and an event program, chiefly related to the rally.
Arranged by record type.
Processed by Emory University Archives Staff. Finding aid updated by Kate Stratton and John Bence, September 2011.
- College students--Georgia--Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students--Political activity--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Demonstrations--Georgia--Atlanta. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student movements--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Georgia--Public opinion. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Protest movements--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Affirmation Vietnam records, 1965-1966
- Emory University Archives, Emory University
- September 13, 2011
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note