University Senate records
Scope and Content Note
The University Senate records relate to major issues and decisions at Emory University including intercollegiate athletics, honorary degrees, the environment, student activities and conduct, transportation and parking, campus development, educational and library policy, and other campus concerns. The first series, the General Records series consists of administrative records, subject files, and other records related to the functions of the University Senate. Included are bylaws, correspondence, financial records, membership lists, policy statements, reports, resolutions, and schedules. The second series, the Minutes and Agenda series, consists of all minutes from meetings dating from 1950 to 2004. The Committees series consists of committee records including, but not limited to, bylaws, campus development, educational policy, executive committee minutes, faculty issues, honorary degrees, library policy, research, student conduct, student organization and activities; committees related to traffic, parking and safety issues, and various ad hoc committees. The final series, Web archives, contains the captured and preserved website of the Emory University Senate available to browse via the Web Archiving Service of the California Digital Library.
- Majority of material found within ( 1950-2005)
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
The University Senate is comprised of faculty, staff and students. The Senate considers and makes recommendations regarding all matters of general University interest, including matters referred by the President or Board of Trustees; they review all new policies and changes to existing policies, submit recommendations to the President on any matter affecting the interests of the University. Institutional predecessors of the Senate included the Council of Deans and the University Council.
Biographical Source: text
12.47 linear feet (29 boxes)
Records of the University Senate, an advisory body to the University President comprised of faculty, staff and students at Emory University, include administrative records, subject files, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, by-laws, meeting minutes, and other items related to the work of the Senate. Records concern honorary degrees, athletics, student activities and conduct, transportation and parking, campus development, educational policy, and other campus issues. The collection also includes a few items from the Senate's institutional predecessors at Emory University, the Council of Deans and the University Council, and also the records of the Faculty Council.
Organized into four series: (1) General records, (2) Minutes and agenda, (3) Committees, and (4) Web archives.
Processed by Emory University Archives staff.
- Campus parking--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Campus planning--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Higher--Georgia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges--Georgia--Administration. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges--Planning. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges--Security measures. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University Senate records, 1927-2005 (bulk 1950-2005)
- Emory University Archives, Emory University
- December 6, 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note